The Importance of Fitting CO2 Sensors In Your Restaurant

The Importance of Fitting CO2 Sensors In Your Restaurant

Food Health Health and Safety

CO2 is a natural, colourless, odourless, non-flammable gas found everywhere. Humans breathe it out so CO2 is mainly found in the air we breathe however it can also be found in fizzy drinks and is used to extend the shelf life of some food products. In the most part CO2 is safe however some people can inhale too much CO2 which can cause an array of issues- especially if you run or own a restaurant. Some symptoms of inhaling too much CO2 gas include:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Blurry vision
  • Dizziness
  • Weak muscles
  • Fainting

 

Effects Of CO2 Retention

CO2 retention or high levels of CO2 in the blood can be refereed to as Hypercapnia. This will trigger a reflex in the body for you to breath quicker to ensure more oxygen enters your body however if this reflex fails it could lead to a fatality. Here are some symptoms of Hypercapnia to look out for:

  • Flushed skin
  • Pulse faster than normal – increased heart rate
  • Increased, heavy breathing
  •  Muscle spasms or twitching
  • Higher blood pressure than normal

If you do feel a little off then please visit you GP as quickly as possible.

CO2 Sensors

Short Term & Long Term Exposure of CO2 Gas

If you are lucky enough to detect high levels of CO2 exposure early (with  CO2 sensors hopefully) then symptoms are very very  minimal. However you should also check with your doctor if you do feel any symptoms and are anxious that it is a result from too much CO2 gas exposure.

Short Term Symptoms include:

  • Short of breath, gasping, hard to breathe
  • Unconsciousness
  • Confusion, delirium
  • Changes in vision – blurred vision or dizziness
  • Lack of concentration

Long Term Symptoms include:

  • Metabolic rate slows down
  • Bone density weakens as a results of lower levels of calcium

CO2 Sensors

How To Prevent CO2 Poisoning In Your Restaurant With CO2 Sensors

Like carbon monoxide poisoning, carbon dioxide poisoning can be difficult to discover. Symptoms of too much CO2 inhalation can be mistaken for other illnesses at times. This is obviously incredibly hazardous.

The best way to protect your staff and customers from carbon dioxide poisoning is to install a CO2 sensors. This will help determine between general illness and too much CO2 exposure.